I decided yesterday that I was going to try something new, and I made a post on Facebook promising a cool new recipe so I am here to deliver.
I have really been fascinated with all of the newest plant-based products as of lately, and I have found so many that I do like. Unlike Soy-based Veggie Sausages and Tofu, this recipe is going to be unprocessed and honestly it’s a really quick way to make your own Seitan. My recipe includes lots of garlic, cayenne, and sriracha barbecue sauce. The base of this recipe can be used in a bunch of different ways. I am excited to experiment with Vital Wheat Gluten even more. I will include a link on where to buy some high quality Vital Wheat Gluten.
Cutting Board – for kneading
- 1 Cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 3/4 cup Vegetable Stock or Broth
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Peanut Butter
- 1 Tsp Shoyu Sauce
- 1 Cup Sriracha BBQ
- Coconut Oil for Pan
1. Preheat oven to 350 and set aside a well-oiled baking dish.
2. In mixing bowl, whisk together vital wheat gluten, nutritional year, pepper, cayenne, paprika, into a dry mixture.
3. In a measuring cup, whisk together the stock, peanut butter, shoyu and mix well with a fork.
4. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture bowl and mix by hand until soft dough is formed. Knead gently on a bamboo cutting board for no more than 2 minutes.
5. Spread evenly in dish and score with a knife so that it may be split evenly down the middle with ease. You don’t want to separate them until after you serve.
6. Bake for 25 minutes.
7. Saute in a stainless steel pan to form crust, using coconut oil. for 2-3 minutes on each side.
8. Serve, coated in Sriracha BBQ sauce. Makes two servings.